Card Games

• Curiosity becomes me - what are some of your favorite card games that you've played and why?

• administrators

Great question. I would love to see the why portion of this question.

• playtesters

I guess I'll have to say The Spoils. I've spent so many years playing it. When I started playing it was a funny version of MTG, which I hadn't really played in many years. It drew me in with it's quirkiness and the promise of a great cruise, but made me stay due to the excellent gameplay. I really haven't played any other card game where the mechanics felt so crisp and precise.

Another game that I've been enjoying is Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn. It's very much a resource management game. Where you have cards, actions, dice and life as resources. Despite all "random mechanics" in the game, it's surprisingly non-random. You get to choose your starting hand and you can turn your dice to face the side you want. You also have a semi mulligan each round. The game looks really great too. There was a single artist who did all the artwork, but they recently got a new one to do it instead, since the old one wanted to pursue other stuff. But it's still very coherent. That is a plus in my book, but the main pull for me is the mechanics that are surprisingly heavy. It's also an LCG model, which I really like.

I think I would have to mention Hearthstone as well. While I have some stuff that I'm not super fond of (mainly randomness and cost/f2p model), it's still a pretty good casual mobile game that can scratch my card game itch while on the subway.

I've also been enjoying MTG Arena lately. While MTG is not my ideal game, it's still fun as a f2p game. I still don't feel it's worth it to invest in it IRL or to pay for digital packs.

• playtesters

I never had the chance to play Spoils during its lifetime, but until I can get Volition I will be building Volition in proxy face downs. LOL. I don’t usually post on forums but I hope to have a presence in this game and it’s future!!

• playtesters

@sykobpd Spoils was first card game I've ever played and it hooked me for years. Now I'm trying to find something new to play with friends. I'm also excited to try volition:)

• playtesters

@dragon can’t seem to get wife to sit down and play the spoils with me. I really hope Volition is a game she can understand and deck build with. By the way can you hook me up with some deck builds?? Can’t seem to find anything I imagine they were on the official forums that no longer exist.

• playtesters

@sykobpd I'm trying to find someone to play spoils as well.

Have You seen this: https://spoilstoolbox.com/decks/recent ?
    It may give you some ideas:)

• playtesters

@sykobpd There's also archived version of forum, but many topics are not available or broken:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20150704194445/http://www.thespoils.com:80/spoils/forum.php

• playtesters

So for me, one of the most important aspects of a card game is the depth of its decision space, which is to say how many valid choices there are available at any time.

Spoils, definitely. I played a fair bit and definitely loved the expansive decision tree as by far my favorite aspect. I also enjoyed some of the more innovative mechanical choices implemented on cards - like variable threshold requirements (esp. Aroused Stiffbone) and such.

Eternal is my favorite digital only game. It does some clever things with the digital space and while it has its issues its straightforward enough. It's not as heavy of a decision space game, but the choices that are there are significant imo.

Obligatory "played mtg" a ton comment. It feels like only recently (like last decade) has it really grown in ways that improve the decision space and often has decided to keep it somewhat constrained by expanding it for a set and then not revisiting that expansion but implementing a new method of expansion.

• playtesters

I have played a fair share of ccgs. Started with Wyvern when I was a teen, played Rage, Mortal Kombat (old original version), Gridiron ( smashmouth football card game), Pokemon TCG, Sim City TCG and Yugioh. Recently, spoils was my go-to. Was the southeastern WI Ambassodor, for a quite a while and still play it my my kids. Recently started dipping into KeyForge.
    Like a lot of people that I see here, I go think spoils is my fave so far, it's the out of the norm kind of mentality that I like so much about it.

• playtesters

@nabonix For a second I thought you meant there was a Smash Mouth band themed tcg and was intrigued. Kinda glad that I was wrong in my initial guess. 😛

Also I wanted to mention that the Netrunner bluffing and control angles also have really appealed to me, although as a new player trying to learn the meta it at times seemed nearly impenetrable.

• playtesters

@faith funny. A smashmouth CCG would be interesting, if that's the right word for it. Lol. No, it's a football card back more on the lines of Mutant league football...didnt know how to describe it.
    I have seen some people playing netrunner at a local g.s. when I was holding Spoils events. Seemed interesting but I was invested in the spoils at the time.

• administrators

@nabonix I totally forgot Sim City TCG. I used to play that with my brother, then played it solo for a little while after he left the house.

Neil Cicierega's Mouth Sounds. 😬

• playtesters

@scott What... what am I listening too?! 😉

@nabonix Sounds interesting. I barely played it, and only after I stopped having people to play Spoils with - but it's depth of interaction and mind games really intrigued me.

• administrators

@faith I'm sorry. 🙃

Looks like your connection to Volition Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.