Volition Limited Play

• playtesters

Limited play is often one of my favorite organized game modes in TCG's and CCG's. How will limited play work in Volition?

• administrators

With the game bring print on demand there are clearly some limitations when it comes to limited game play.

The clearest way to engage in a "draft" or "sealed' would be to have a store dedicate a printer and cutting device for this. Players would buy packs and the store could print and cut the cards (or players could) and then just sit down and do a sealed.

Draft is a tad more complicated as traditionally players only own the cards they draft. You could, once the draft is done, have players scan each card they drafted and claim ownership in some way. You could also change the idea of what a draft is and the players buy the 3 (or however many) packs and they own those cards.. regardless of who ends up drafting them for the play/tournament. So you basically KEEP what you open.. The reason you don't keep what you open in a traditional draft is because you have to trust that the players who draft cards from your pack give them back in good condition.. here.. you don't care as they are just prints and you still OWN the card digitally. This would likely be the EASIEST way... it also gives volition another thing you cant do (safely) with physical cards. This also puts deck building at the forefront of the draft experience since you aren't "forced" to draft the money cards. It might also promote trading since people will have played with other cards people own and you know "hey johnny opened an XXXX and i REALLY like how it played.. i wonder if he'd trade it".

Thoughts?

• playtesters

I'm not that familiar with bitcoin/mining in general, so there's a lot I don't understand to distribution and I may missing certain aspects.
    From my understanding though, since cards/packs must be "mined" and then held onto. Wouldn't stores/tournament organizers need to mine a ton of unopened packs in order for the draft to happen? Since mining takes time (I don't know how long.) Would they need to potentially limit events to every 3 or 6 months to rebuild supply?

Also, I don't fully understand how a owned pack turns into multiple cards. Since all cards just go into your collection, however that's managed. When these packs are "opened" and turned into multiple cards, is there a tag on them or something to note that they came out of a pack?
    I'm just imagining hearthstone, you click the pack get a fancy display and can see these cards came form this pack, you click the ok button and they all go into your collection. After that, they are indistinguishable from your other cards. Wouldn't this work similar?
    Since the store/TO would need to open the packs to print out the cards:

1. When a player buys a back for it to print, would there be some display saying you got these X cards from this pack. So the player knows the cards printed and handed to him are what he actually opened?
    2. To speed up the tournament actually starting on time they would probably want to print all these packs/cards before the tournament. If they are opening without players present and there is no way to tell what came from what pack, there is that potential for the TO to keep the better cards and substitute others as the cards opened.

• administrators

Mining - There would be a supply of packs that could be bought off the market place. (unless the market runs dry due to popularity, which would be similar to a print run being over)

You stores dont actually have to mine the packs, they can just sell packs that have already been mined by other people. (or players can buy from those people and not the store). There are a few ways to deal with this but it's not really part of this "limited" (lol) discussion .

As for a player buying a pack and opening it.. yeah.. in hearthstone it would just go straight into your collect. Maybe we consider a tag that allows you to mark a pack so the wallet/card manager knows the pack is being used for draft, and it handles the cards differently.

I envision it happening something like this: Players buy packs, players open packs in wallet for draft (they retain ownership of all cards they opened), players print and cut cards opened from those packs. (yes, they will see the contents of their packs). The player would choose one of the 3 (or 4) stacks of printed cards from the player to the right of them and draft from that stack, and then continue to pass it to the left like a normal draft
    (You have the players pick the pack at random since they don't know their neighbors cards. You want to prevent the opener of the packs from choosing which pack to start with)

Draft continues in this way as normal and you deck build. You dont own the cards you play with, only the cards you opened.

I feel like we want the store to do as LITTLE as possible. The more required by the store, the less they will want to run events.

• playtesters

I could see Cubes being the best way to encourage limited play at stores. Have a pre-set stack of cards that you shuffle and build "boosters" from those shuffled cards randomly and then play from that, with no one owning the cards, but everyone getting tournament credit or some sort of rewards to their wallet based on placing.

Looks like your connection to Volition Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.